So Why a Living Room?



Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Before You Know It

July?!?!   How is that possible?!  Well I think I will do 2 posts tonight and make up for lost time.  :)   And I will be typing all index finger letters with my third finger because I was trimming my chrysanthemums today (with squeezy sharp clippers) and decided to clip my finger instead of the flower.  I was calm and cool and collected for about 2 minutes until I was still bleeding all over the sink and couldn't get it to stop.  My 6 year-old, Ethan, got me some gauze and some tape and some band-aids and we eventually made it through.  I wonder how long it will be until I can type with that finger or play the piano... Well the mums look great anyway.


Okay, so a few days ago a friend of mine from a BYU music camp years ago asked me about this song and if I had a recording of it somewhere.  I do, and here it is.

The first song I ever wrote.  Back in 1998, on Easter Sunday.  A few months after my sister Lindsay, had been killed in a car accident.  I remember recording it onto a cassette tape and mailing it to my older brother and sister who were on missions in foreign countries for our church.  They were teaching about how families can be together forever and how we can endure any trial through the enabling power of the atonement of Jesus Christ, and I was surviving each day by clinging to those truths.   In this recording, my brother Zach  is singing along in the background, just like he did so many times in the Philippines, along with that little cassette tape...





Thanks, Lauren, for reminding me about this song.  It was a gift all over again for me to listen to it today.  




Doctrine and Covenants 121:7-9
  “My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;  And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.  Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.”

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Thank you, Emily. I'm sure your sister is so proud of you. Love this song.

Andy said...

This was great to hear again - it brought back a kalidescope of memories and feelings...Hope you guys are doing great.

Lucky Larson's said...

beautiful! Your family was such a strength to us when we were dealing with Dad's accident--What a amazing family you all are!

Peggy Norris said...

lovely bittersweet memories--i cried a little.