So Why a Living Room?



Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"So how's your diabetes?"

This is a question people ask me a lot. I appreciate their concern and interest in my life, but I still haven't figured out exactly how to respond. 

"Uh, like a roller coaster?"

"It depends on which minute of the day, and which day of the month."

"Well, this week, on average, over 25% of my readings were higher than my target range, and about 18% were lower, but I had some in the middle so can't complain, right?"


So for anyone who has ever really wanted the answer to that question, here's my best response:



See why it's hard to give a quick answer?   This shows about a month of blood sugars, with highs and lows just about every day.  Blood sugar is always changing, and is affected by food, insulin, stress, hormones, exercise, and lots of other things.  So look at that and you tell me--"how is my diabetes?"  :)

But cool graph, huh?

I just got a new glucometer that is a USB.  So I put a test strip in one end every time I prick my finger to check my blood sugar, and there is a cap on the other end that covers the USB connector. When I want to see neato charts and graphs of my blood sugars and try find some pattern or rhyme or reason to the craziness, I just plug in my meter and pull up all the charts.  TECHNOLOGY!!!


This is just one week at a time.  Doesn't it look like it could be a constellation?  That's what I'm going to do next time I'm star gazing--I'll chart my blood sugars in the sky.  Ha!

 


Wouldn't it be cool if we could see a graph like this for every area of our lives?  Physical fitness, spirituality, organization, focus on certain relationships, etc.  I try really hard to stay organized and I like my life to fit into compartments and feel neat and tidy, but the truth is, life is always changing and always moving!  It's pretty incredible to me how many layers of life we are able to manage all at the same time, while each element is going up and down and all around.  I'm grateful, with all those layers of ups and downs, to have an Anchor.

Ether 12:4 --"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God."

"Sure and steadfast."  
Even with 100's of different kinds of graphs fluctuating all around. 
I know that is possible.  I've felt it.

So, I sing with the angels:  "Glory to God in the highest!" 

0 comments: